Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Banda Aceh First Builder Team :- Briefing #1

Earlier this evening, I met some of my First Builder team members for the first time. They seem like a great bunch of people from all walks of life. There was even an ex-pilot! After a brief welcome and introduction, I led the group in a short discussion about managing our expectations during our time in Banda Aceh. This was an essential portion of our meeting because I had to ensure that my team members had an appropriate set of expectations for our trip. If we expected too much, it was critical that we lowered our expectations!

I shared with my team that in the past, there have been some volunteers who expected too much, and too unfairly. While serving in third-world countries for the poor and afflicted, such volunteers might make requests such as :"at least 3-star accomodation with hot shower", "TV in my bedroom", "iced drinks to be served while they are working", etc. There have also been volunteers who expected their fellow volunteers to work just as hard as they are, so when they get teamed up with people who are physically weaker or work slower, these volunteers get bitter, sometimes getting into conflicts with their fellow volunteers and affecting the work schedule adversely. Some volunteers also expected the folks that they had assisted to heap upon them praise and thanks. When these words of appreciation fail to materialise, those volunteers complain and become disillusioned with their own volunteering efforts.

I suppose the point I wanted to drive home to my team this evening was: "We are a First Builder Team, a Disaster Response Team. Our focus should be on the needs of the victims, and not those of ourselves."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production