Saturday, August 06, 2005

At the Zoo!

I was at the Singapore Zoological Gardens today, with five other befrienders and four children from Camp Sunshine. We arrived at the main entrance at around 1 pm, bought our tickets, and then went inside the zoo. The children were noticeably excited about the whole trip :) We managed to see quite a number of different animals, including pumas, leopards, giraffes, jaguars, kangaroos, ostriches, peacocks, tapirs, rhinos, white tigers, polar bears, snakes, baboons, iguanas, horses, hamsters, rabbits, dogs, crocodiles, lions, orang utans, sunbears, tortoises...the list goes on and on! It was fun!

At one point, a zoo-keeper was walking towards us with a massive and beautiful white python carefully draped across her shoulders. Noticing that we were all staring at her and her passenger, she stopped in front of us, and asked if we would like to touch the snake. Initially, our two wheelchair-bound children were cringing in their seats, but after everyone else had stroked the python, they also nervously stretched out their hands to brush against its smooth skin. :) I bet it's an experience they will not easily forget! :) We also sat in for two animal shows, one at "Elephants of Asia" and the other at "Children's World".

Pushing a wheelchair-bound kid up and down the undulating, winding roads of the zoo was no easy task. By about 4.30 pm, I was in desperate need of a break. Thankfully, at another befriender's thoughtful suggestion, we stopped by KFC and recharged ourselves with fried chicken and ice-cold carbonated soft-drinks. It was heavenly!

We left the zoo just before closing time. I probably wasn't able to hide my fatigue very well, because the other befrienders kept coming to ask me if I was feeling okay. :) Yes, I was very tired, but as long as the kids enjoyed it, the effort was worth it, every second of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production