To the Movies!
I had a really horrid week, reaching home after eleven every night since Tuesday, including two nights after 1 am. I feel worse with each passing day. I'm slightly feverish, and am high-strung most of the time. My appetite has gone down because of a dry throat which burns when I swallow and two huge ulcers in my mouth which sting whenever they come in contact with anything that I consume. The books on stress management which I had borrowed were helpful to some extent, but I really need to get a better grasp on my work. I hope things improve soon; I've got a nasty feeling that my body won't be able to take the punishing work schedule for much longer.
This morning, I woke up at 6:10 am. It was dreadfully difficult to get myself out of bed, but I did anyway. I had to leave the house early to pick up my child, K, and his brother, J, from their home, and bring them to Orchard Cineplex for a Club Rainbow-organised "Harry Potter: The Goblet of Fire" movie-outing. I met a fellow befriender at K's and J's home, and the four of us (with two wheelchairs) crammed ourselves into a taxi, and headed to town for the 9:30 am show. When we got there, we found that the turnout for the movie was rather good :)
While the children enjoyed the movie immensely, I was quite certain that the dark and sinister overtones of the Goblet storyline only added to my sense of dreariness and gloom. But no matter, today was a day that I had set aside for the kids, and I wasn't going to let my moods ruin the atmosphere.
After the show finished, we had lunch at Burger King, and then later went for a quick spin at Takashimaya, making a stopover at a children's toyshop on Level 4. However, hard as I tried, by about 2 pm, I couldn't ignore my throbbing headache. Just standing also required an immense amount of energy and concentration. [Incidentally, I was told by two different befrienders today that I had lost weight and had fatigue written all over my face. *sigh* Their views echoed those I heard from my current colleagues and my running kakis from SgRunners. *sigh* Such is the toll of my work!]
At 2:20 pm, the kids appeared to have had enough fun in the toyshop, and my fellow befriender suggested that it was time to send them home. I couldn't agree more. We arrived back at K's and J's home at about 3 pm, following which, we conversed with the boys' mother until around 3:45 pm. Then we left. I hoped the kids had fun today. I don't think they come out to Orchard for movies very often.
There was a direct bus which would take me straight home, but the journey would last over an hour. Alternatively, I could opt for a quicker route: take a bus ride to the MRT station, board a train on the Northeast Line, then switch to the East-West Line, then transfer to another bus to get home. I decided on the first approach...at least I could try to get some uninterrupted sleep on the bus.
I couldn't fall asleep on the bus, but my neck felt very strained. I reached home at around 5 pm.
Right now, I'm feeling very, very tired, and my nose is running again. I can only pray for a restful night, and keep my fingers crossed and hope to wake up feeling rejuvenated tomorrow morning.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home