A lousy optician almost ruined my eyes
For the past few weeks, I have been seeing double, especially when looking at printed text and at the computer screen. Within a matter of seconds of looking at books or the computer, everything goes blur, and I cannot bring the words and lines into focus. As I had only just purchased a new pair of spectacles within the last one year, I dreaded hearing the news that my myopia and astigmatism had deteriorated dramatically over such a short period of time. As a result, I had put off going to the optician for a check-up. But by the end of last week, my double-vision was giving me so many problems that I finally decided to get my eyes checked.
After work today, I went with Yingrui to visit her regular optician for consultation. The man sat me down in front of a machine, did some tests and measurements on my eyes as well as on my glasses. Then he broke to me the most shocking news. The problem did not lie with my eyes, but with the pair of spectacles itself! Apparently, my other optician had used lens which were of the wrong curvature and separation!
For the past one year, my eyes had been under much strain, trying to adapt to those mis-prescribed lens. In the recent few weeks, because my eyes had become so fatigued, they simply "gave up" trying to focus using those lens, and so I started to see double images! I can't believe my other optician did such a botched job when she made me my current pair of spectacles. Within the first month of making my purchase from her, I rang her up and complained of slightly blurred vision and of headaches. "There's nothing wrong with the glasses," she had insisted at that time. "All you need is some time to adapt to them. Everyone takes time to get used to their new pair of spectacles." And I trusted her then. But now, I know better.
At the end of my consultation, I left that pair of offending spectacles with Yingrui's optician, and asked him to have those lens replaced. I'm never going back to the other optician ever again.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home