Saturday, September 24, 2005

Back from India

Namaste! I am back from my trip to New Delhi, India.

Map of India


This was my first time on the Indian sub-continent, and it was an eye-opening and fascinating experience. What struck me as my first impression was the stark disparity between the rich and the poor. Within a hundred metres of the hotel in which I stayed was "thriving" squatter community. During my 4 days in New Delhi, I also had the opportunity to visit the Red Fort, the largest of old Delhi's monuments, Jama Masjid, India's largest mosque, as well as the New Delhi Village of HOPE, a sanctuary to over 3,500 leprosy patients and their families.

The traffic in New Delhi was manic. I managed to catch a ride on a rickshaw through the streets. It was such an experience, trying to remain seated on the "open-air" rickshaw without being jolted off whenever the rickshaw made a sharp turn or collided into some other vehicle or person (*gasp*).

With regard to the food, I found it too oily and unhealthy for my liking. I also must add that thankfully, I didn't get "Delhi Belly", the horrendous diarrhorea that afflicts many foreign visitors to India. ;)

I am glad to be back home after my trip to India. I did not have the chance to exercise or run while I was there, and I'm looking forward to doing a 20-km tomorrow morning! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production