Sunday, January 20, 2008

There was a barber and his wife...and she was beautiful...

I just watched the most stunning performance by Johnny Depp in the movie "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street", directed by Tim Burton. It's simply a classic! I remember listening to a cassette of the musical when I was little. And how chillingly exciting was the tale then. But now, Burton has masterfully brought the dark and sinister tragedy alive onto the big screen. The songs in the movie, so enchanting, so haunting, pounding rythmically like a massive heart swollen with so much anguish, sorrow, anger and bitterness. The film keeps you riveted to your seat, unless, of course, you're seated in the chair in Todd's barbershop...because no one ever sits on it for too long...

Despite all its gore, this is one movie which I certainly do not mind watching again. :)

But a word of caution to the faint-hearted: this film is gushing with warm, fresh red blood. After all, Todd is the most famous barber on Fleet Street in London, and downstairs below his barbershop, Mrs Lovett sells the most delicious, lip-smacking meat pies... I wonder where she gets her ingredients from...


Todd (singing to his razor): "You'll soon drip precious rubies..."

1 Comments:

At 9:56 am, Blogger roentgen said...

Nice review Renoh. Was thinking whether I should watch this - both the movie and broadway musical are showing near my place. Will go and watch it now...

NTW, if you haven't watched "atonement", would highly recommend it as well :P)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production