Saturday, October 22, 2005

Visiting K

I met up with Paul and Angeline in Orchard Takashimaya today. We bought some snacks and a set of stickers and a sticker album as gifts, and then went down together to Hougang celebrate my kid K's birthday. Because of a slight traffic congestion, we arrived at 3:10 pm, ten minutes later than planned.

Fellow Club Rainbow befriender Amelia was already in K's house, and was helping K with his homework. K was noticeably pleased to see us. He was shy as usual, and his brother even more so. But after receiving his birthday presents, and seeing the spread of delicious goodies laid out across the table, K was all smiles. =)

Over the noise made by the children as they played with their toy cars and M&M dispenser, my three fellow befrienders and I talked heart-to-heart with the children's mother, and discussed some matters which weighed heavily in her heart. I can only barely begin to imagine how tiring and stressful it must be, looking after children born with such medical conditions. The social stigma, the physical demands, the financial burden, the curtailing of personal freedom to pursue one's own interests, the sacrifices...it's tough. K's mum came close to tears several times during our conversation. I really don't know how I, in my limited capacity, can help K or his family, other than just provide a listening ear.

K's dad came back home as we were wrapping up the birthday party. We chatted briefly, listened to K's attempt at a karaoke rendition of a song by Hokkien singer Chen Lei (陈雷), and then bade farewell to the entire family and went off.

Of late, I have been feeling rather under the weather (a bit of flu) and extremely exhausted, because I have been averaging 4-5 hours of sleep every day for the past two weeks. After today's emotionally draining session, I'm feeling even more tired. But I received an SMS from my supervisor once I got home from Hougang - there was work which he wanted me to do over the weekend. *sigh* That means I've got to miss my dinner appointment at Geylang Serai with the other SgRunners. What a shame, I really wanted to meet up with The Lonely Runner.

I also really need an outlet to release all my pent-up fatigue and stress...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production