Thursday, December 22, 2005

I could have been a really rich kid

I've just been told that my great-grandfather used to be some really rich personality in Singapore. In his heyday, he owned two hotels, one laundrette and one tailor-shop that had an on-going business contract with the then-colonial British Army in Singapore for their military uniforms. He was a generous and hearty man. Unfortunately, as he grew older, he started being cheated of his property, thanks to crooked businessmen and mysteriously-appearing distant relatives who preyed on his trusting nature and kindness. By the time my dad entered in his early teens, the family had lost most of its fortune, save the roof under which they lived.

Gosh, I wonder how life for me would be, if I had been born into the household of a tycoon. Maybe I wouldn't have to slog so hard at work. And maybe I wouldn't have to think so much about my finances whenever I go shopping for gifts for friends. And maybe I would have worn something much more impressive than my blue windbreaker for my school's prom night.

*sigh* Reality is not that great, but I'll live...by the provident and magnificent grace of God, which all the wealth in the world cannot measure up to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production