Sunday, March 05, 2006

My turn to run

When it was nearly time for us to start the half marathon, there were much more people at Padang Merdeka compared to at 5 am. But still, the number paled in comparison to that for the SCSM. I went into the runners pen with Run3 and Brokie, but lost sight of Brokie in the crowd. So Run3 and I squeezed our way on our own towards the start-line. At this point, the organisers decided to play some music to rev up the crowd, but the choice of music was questionable. It was a traditional Malay piece, which was very soothing and lovely no doubt, but it was not the sort of music that would raise adrenaline levels in the runners :P

At the pull of the trigger, we were off! Although I had agreed to keep pace with Run3, I lost her after about 10 minutes into the race. :P

It was a good run for me. There were great slopes, which allowed me to pull ahead of some of the weaker runners. :D Heh heh, my limited training along the slopes of the Botanic Gardens seemed to have helped me tremendously. :D

The route was not particularly scenic, but the weather was nice and cool, and it didn't get uncomfortably hot until very late in the morning. So I was able to maintain a relaxed breathing style for most of my journey. I was also able to put some of the chi running techniques into good use.

One problematic aspect of the run was that the routes for the 7-km, 21-km and 42-km kept overlapping and diverting at different sections. So it was very confusing, and there was always the possibility of a 21-km runner taking a wrong turn and going onto the 42-km route, or for a 7-km runner doing an extra loop which was meant for a 21-km runner. Other than that, if there were more water points and distance markers, the race would have been even better.

I reached the 10-km mark in 50 min 28 sec. Woohoo!


Route Map

But when I had done about 18-km, I increasingly felt as if my legs were lead. I told myself that if I didn't push myself harder, I won't be able to get a sub-2 hour timing. "Run, move your legs, come on, open your strides, don't think about stopping..." I kept telling myself as I moved along. By this time, the 7-km and 21-km routes had merged into one, and I found myself surrounded by a sea of 7-km walkers. At one point, I couldn't see any 21-km runners around me. That was rather disturbing, and I thought I might have ended up running the wrong route. Fortunately, I hadn't.

Near to the finish line, the 21-km competitors had to do two 800 m loops. I dutifully did both, albeit slowly. At this point, Run3 overtook me from behind. With quick steps, she steadily went ahead, and I lost sight of her soon after.

I looked at my watch. The race was entering its 113rd minute. If I wanted a sub-2 hour result, I had to reach the finishing line within 7 minutes. But I couldn't see the end-point ahead. "Move those legs, faster, wider!!" I shouted to myself. Then the road took a turn, and lo and behold, the finish line was in view. I dashed the last stretch, and came in with the timing of 1 hour 56 min 53 sec, and was ranked 140th out of 295 men in my category. :D

I had never run under 2 hours in a half-marathon before. This was my personal best, and I'm really pleased.

2 Comments:

At 4:47 pm, Blogger Janice_O said...

u ran too fast for me at the start, i lost u 5min into the race! i think u wld haf gotten a better timing if not for that fluke 2nd loop.

 
At 11:08 pm, Blogger Renohtaram said...

haha :P i knew we were supposed to pace each other, but somehow, we lost each other!

i need to work on my pace at longer distances...when i go into 17-18 km and above, i slow down considerably...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production