Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Future of the UN

Did 20 laps at SAFRA today, then met up with Yingrui, Poh Choo, Wenfen, Yingtat, Jave and a whole bunch of ASD newbies for lunch at Telok Blangah. It was good to catch up again with the gang, even though it was only a short meeting.

Later on, I went to Raffles Hotel to attend an ISEAS public lecture on "The Future of the UN". The speaker was no other than the current United Nations Under-Secretary-General Shashi Tharoor, who is currently India's nominee for the position of UN Secretary-General when the incumbent Kofi Annan steps down next year. Tharoor's a very eloquent and humourous speaker, no doubt, and his 28 years of experience working in the UN would certainly make him very qualified to handle the responsibilities of the Sec-Gen job. However, as Tharoor conceded himself, there are bigger factors at play, such as the politicking among major powers, which means that the most qualified person might not get the job after all. Ah well, only time will tell.



After the lecture, I headed down to RunningLabs for the Thursday run. I spotted Gen quite far off, and tailed him closely from behind for quite a distance, but he didn't realise I was there. *lol* A number of other folks were at the run today, including Tekko, Divey, Daisiki, Ironmandreamer, Eddie, SportVenturer, some of the Vitamin Research Lab girls - I can never associate the names with the faces - and more. We went for the 10-km route to Marina Park, and I think it was the fastest RunningLab Run that I've ever done. Finished it in 49 min. :) Gen is an inspiration. He's virtually flying the whole journey, as if he's weightless, and he makes the 10-km look totally effortless. *hail* As for me, I'm panting and sweating, and the pain in my left knee is acting up. *groan*



Went for dinner with Gen and another fellow runner at the Funan Food Court. Met Pamela there. She's having a late night at the office, so she decided to grab some dinner in the interim. Gen, Pamela and I chatted briefly, and then decided to meet up again with Natalie returns to Singapore.

It felt great to run and great to meet friends.

I'm happy, happy, happy, even though my knee is killing me.

4 Comments:

At 3:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u ran well tonite! take care of ur knee yah, ice and rosiden it!

:)

 
At 9:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! 49min....i vomit my whole stomach out also cannot match that pace.....look like allt he social run on tues and thurs are on full turbo engines now

 
At 10:20 am, Blogger Renohtaram said...

Agreed! The Tues/Thurs social runs have somehow evolved into fast runs...but only for the 10-km route. (There are shorter routes on Thurs for those who don't want to go that far or that fast.)

The fastest runners start coming in at the finishing line around 40-45 min! But there are also the more average runners. They come in around 50 min - 1 hour plus.

 
At 2:38 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought u are going for slow run at RL, how come u are speeding so fast, take care of your knee, more important is the race on sunday :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production