Countdown to Christmas!
Today, I celebrated Christmas Eve with my former colleagues from DSTA at a hotel by the Singapore River.
Chee Kong, Chris Ang and I met at the hotel lobby at around 3 pm. It was quite a funny sight, the three of us checking in. I was still limping slightly. As for Chee Kong, he had gone for his triathlon training at Sentosa earlier in the morning, during which he fell off his bike and suffered grazes on his legs and shoulder. Chris Ang had recently undergone operation on his left leg, which left him limping as well. :) So the three of us hobbled our way from the Concierge to our room on the top floor of the hotel, carrying all sorts of Christmas goodies for our party later on.
Chee Keong arrived soon after, armed with his camera, and started taking pictures of us, the room, the view from our window, etc. He also brought with him a book that he was currently reading - "A Prison Diary" by Lord Jeffrey Archer (a book which I strongly recommmend). Soon after, Chee Keong slipped off to explore the swimming pool.
Next to arrive were Li Lian and Yiting, who brought with them some bottled drinks and some crisps. A little while later, the two ladies also went out to explore the hotel. The remaining three of us guys watched "Johnny English" on TV.
Audrey and Richard came next, but I didn't get to chat long with them. Instead, I went out with some of the guys to buy more food and drinks at Raffles City. By the time we got back (after picking Wilson up along the way), Audrey and Richard had already gone off for their next Christmas Eve appointment. In the meantime, Yi Ju and Ying Tat had turned up at the hotel and were watching "Bicentennial Man" with Li Lian and Chee Keong. Ming Jern, too, had also arrived, but he spent most of the evening talking on his mobile outside the hotel room.
At around 8 pm, we began to feast on the turkey, log cake and salad that Chee Kong had bought and/or prepared. Nan Yan (who was still nursing a bad sore throat), Ah Khen and their three kids, Zoey, Zoelin and Nigel, came by at around 8:45 pm. The children were active and playful, and enjoyed themselves thoroughly in the hotelroom. We played card games with them and watched "射鵰英雄传" on TV. Zoey also gave me a large Christmas greeting card that she had painted herself, and for that, I am very touched and grateful :)
It seemed that the whole evening, we just ate, drank, watched TV and enjoyed one another's company. :) But it was a great feeling, because these were such wonderful colleagues and friends of mine, and I missed them dearly ever since leaving DSTA for my new job.
I left the party at 11:30 pm, catching a ride home from Ah Khen. I hope to be able to join them for the next monthly gathering...which should be back to Sentosa for a Saturday afternoon of games ;) Gosh, I hope I don't get called back to work that day.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home