Sunday, January 08, 2006

Being prepared and ready

*gulp* I have less than 8 weeks to train for the half-marathon event in the KLIM. And I haven't run in 2 months! I'm so far from being prepared and ready for it!

Well...I did earlier make some plans to go with Tiwazz and the other SgRunners for a morning run at the Botanic Gardens this morning at 7 am. But when I woke up at 5:30 am this morning, I found to my dismay that it was raining rather heavily, and so I decided to snuggle in bed instead. I told myself that later this evening, I may go for a short run (weather-permitting); otherwise, I could pop by the gym for some weight training. But the rain kept on coming down, and I stayed indoors.

It's still raining now...真是长命雨...

Anyway, earlier this morning, between 6:30am to 9:30 am, the Singapore Civil Defence Force launched the surprise large-scale civil emergency drill, codenamed Exercise NorthStar V (Channel Newsasia report here). Simulated terrorist attacks, comprising explosions, a chemical attack and a suicide bomber, were carried out at four of our MRT stations (Dhoby Ghaut, Toa Payoh, Raffles Place and Marina Bay) and one bus interchange (Toa Payoh). Entire sections of our underground metro became paralysed during the emergency drill.

I'm glad we're taking steps to be on our guard, even if it causes inconvenience and much ire among some of the over 3,000 commuters who found their journeys unexpectedly disrupted by the exercise and had to endure the rain to find alternative means of transportation.

We cannot rule out the possibility of a terrorist attack on our soil, and I dread the day when it happens...if it happens. And if it happens, I hope we're ready for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production