Monday, February 13, 2006

Did I do the right thing?

I have signed up for the half marathon race in the KL Internation Marathon on 5 March 2006. I have made my bookings for transport to leave on 3 March (Fri) and for my hotel in KL as well.

In the office today, I was just informed this morning that I have been assigned to attend to some work on that particular Friday afternoon. I knew it would be a heavy assignment, which could drag into the weekend. So I explained to my superior that I had made plans to take leave on 3 March to go for the half marathon over the weekend, and that I hoped he could understand. I said I wasn't trying to escape work, but it really clashed with my personal plans, and I had been planning for weeks and I had already paid for all my arrangements. My superior emphasised that it would be good exposure for me to handle that particular assignment. Hint...good for my performance report. But I stood my ground, because I had told myself I really wanted a break from work and enjoy the half marathon.

Later, my superior appointed someone else to handle that assignment, and said I could go ahead and "run your marathon". He didn't sound very pleased with me, and I wonder if I did the right thing. I fear I may have done myself a great disservice.

7 Comments:

At 4:05 pm, Blogger Janice_O said...

some rather sarcastic remarks u received there. hmm, i guess its abt your priorities in life. wrk will alwis be impt.. for obvious reasons, but its matter of where u draw the line i suppose. best of luck! cheers.

 
At 11:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmm.... ur boss does not seem like a very understanding person... nvm, just go ahead and pursue wat u want in life! All the way! Jiayou!

 
At 1:39 am, Blogger The DreamRunner said...

So it has been said; So it shall be done.

Though he may not be all too pleased, he will respect you for standing your ground.

There's no wrong or right here. You will never know for sure what might have happened if you didn't do this KL race. Will you definitely get a promotion? Who knows?...

Just go ahead and do your best for the KL race. Come back and perform your next assignment even better to show a re-juvenated and re-energized renoh.

All The Best!
dream

 
At 11:02 am, Blogger mis_nomer said...

Hmm. I don't think your organisation will get the work-life award.

 
At 8:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very sound advice n encouragement by dream!*thumbs up*
All the Best,Renoh!

 
At 1:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done!

 
At 9:21 pm, Blogger Muggs said...

Pal!! Sometimes, I get stuff like these too. I step back and look at the picture again. If you weren't capable of settling the job, it wouldn't be assigned to you in the first place. Even if you were an easy "target", you would need to be someone who can "get the job done". I tell myself that I have what it takes and what they are looking for. You certainly have the qualities that any employer would look for. So, Heads up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production