Evaluating Friday and Saturday
Was swamped at work on Friday. Some of my colleagues were on leave, and the workload kept piling up. More work, less manpower...you get the idea. I didn't manage to meet up with the folks from Club Rainbow in the end. They had planned to watch an 11.30 pm movie after dinner and drinks, but I told them I wouldn't be able to make it. And true enough, I only packed up and left the office about 12.30 am. :P Went back home, had dinner, watched an old Hong Kong kung-fu movie until 2 am then went to bed.
Soon Saturday daybreak arrived, and it was much better. I got up at 8 am, had some breakfast, then went for a swim at Mt Faber SAFRA. I didn't warm up in the children's pool this time, but leapt straight into the adult pool. I kept to the right side of the pool where it was shallower, and did a few laps. When I felt sufficiently confident that I wouldn't drown, I moved over to the left side of the pool where it was quite deep mid-way along the lane. In total, I covered about 16 laps in the pool. Very slowly, very clumsily, very inefficiently, but I did it. :D
Then I headed to Great World City for lunch with the SgRunners, including Astrogirl, Kellylim, cfred84, Andy, Kickjazz, JunieTang, T@z, aichai, roetgen, shutehelup and Tiwazz. After which we proceeded up to Level 3 Golden Village Cineplex for X-Men 3: The Last Stand. Joining us there were also Run3, Fd, fattybombom, TheLonelyRunner, ActiveLifestyleDude, Philip and Bee.


The movie's storyline was weak, the special effects were not particularly spectacular, and it was tragic seeing so many X-men and other mutants losing their powers and/or dying one after the other. :( Won't go into the details, lest I ruin the experience for those who haven't yet watched the film. But on the whole, I was thrilled nonetheless. Guess it's because of the adrenaline that's been building up inside me since news broke about the movie's screening. :)
Two takeaways from the movie, worth further reflection. First, the point about whether being a mutant (read: being different) is a "disease" which needs to be "cured". It's all about making a choice between valuing and celebrating diversity or maintaining the old order and uniformity. Do I judge and try to change people who are different from me...or just different in general? I think it requires a conscious decision not to do so because it runs deep in our human psyche to prefer things which are familiar and common - and therefore "safe". Second, am I the master of my emotions, or am I enslaved to my spur-of-the-moment feelings? This is something that needs to be managed this carefully, particular at the workplace, where frustration levels can run high.
And also one brainless thought...why did Wolverine still have his pants on during his final encounter with the Phoenix? ;)
Soon Saturday daybreak arrived, and it was much better. I got up at 8 am, had some breakfast, then went for a swim at Mt Faber SAFRA. I didn't warm up in the children's pool this time, but leapt straight into the adult pool. I kept to the right side of the pool where it was shallower, and did a few laps. When I felt sufficiently confident that I wouldn't drown, I moved over to the left side of the pool where it was quite deep mid-way along the lane. In total, I covered about 16 laps in the pool. Very slowly, very clumsily, very inefficiently, but I did it. :D
Then I headed to Great World City for lunch with the SgRunners, including Astrogirl, Kellylim, cfred84, Andy, Kickjazz, JunieTang, T@z, aichai, roetgen, shutehelup and Tiwazz. After which we proceeded up to Level 3 Golden Village Cineplex for X-Men 3: The Last Stand. Joining us there were also Run3, Fd, fattybombom, TheLonelyRunner, ActiveLifestyleDude, Philip and Bee.


The movie's storyline was weak, the special effects were not particularly spectacular, and it was tragic seeing so many X-men and other mutants losing their powers and/or dying one after the other. :( Won't go into the details, lest I ruin the experience for those who haven't yet watched the film. But on the whole, I was thrilled nonetheless. Guess it's because of the adrenaline that's been building up inside me since news broke about the movie's screening. :)
Two takeaways from the movie, worth further reflection. First, the point about whether being a mutant (read: being different) is a "disease" which needs to be "cured". It's all about making a choice between valuing and celebrating diversity or maintaining the old order and uniformity. Do I judge and try to change people who are different from me...or just different in general? I think it requires a conscious decision not to do so because it runs deep in our human psyche to prefer things which are familiar and common - and therefore "safe". Second, am I the master of my emotions, or am I enslaved to my spur-of-the-moment feelings? This is something that needs to be managed this carefully, particular at the workplace, where frustration levels can run high.
And also one brainless thought...why did Wolverine still have his pants on during his final encounter with the Phoenix? ;)








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home