A Lousy Race - Mizuno Wave Run 2007
The Mizuno Wave Run today is the WORST race that I've ever participated in so far. The only semblance of organisation is DISorganisation. So what if the weather had been wet and cold this morning...the race could have still been very much enjoyable. But the sore lack of foresight and contingency planning on the part of the organisers laid the stage for chaos.
First, the registration point was a mess to begin with. Second, the location for baggage storage was only decided and announced about 15-20 min before the scheduled start of the race. That doesn't leave runners with much time to store their bags and warm-up for the run. Third, the choice of running route is appalling. Why would anyone plan a route for an 8,000-participant event across a a tiny bridge that can accomodate about 4 persons across its width? This bottleneck made everyone stop to walk. So much for a race. Fourth, there was lack of "knowledgeable" road marshalls along the way. Many of those marshalls present had no clue about the route itself. In particular, these marshalls were noticeably missing at the most critical position, i.e. the 5-km/10-km decision point. Many 5-km runners like me ended up on the 10-km route instead because there was no one to tell us where to turn! Fifth, there was a lack of medics. While there were medical points peppered along the routes, not all of them were manned. Having unmanned medical points really defeats the whole purpose of having one, doesn't it? Sixth, there was a last-minute change in the location of the end-point. I find this extremely bewildering! Seventh, the competitive race clashed with the Aljunied GRC Walk-a-Jogathon which was held at the same Bedok Reservoir on the same morning! It doesn't take a genius to realise that this would lead to lots of confusion, both among the runners and the joggers/walkers! Eighth, there were no clearly visible labels, signages or banners indicating where the goodie-bag collection or drinks points were. Not to mention that the mushrooming of Aljunied GRC Walk-a-Jogathon booths all over the same area made it even more confusing! Ninth, bags that were stored with the organisers were placed onto muddy grass during transportation from Temasek Polytechnic to Bedok Reservoir. I was extremely shocked to hear about this! These bags are the private property of the participants who had entrusted them to the care of the organisers during the race. Their bags are not TRASH. Please treat them carefully and with respect!
This run leaves a foul taste in my mouth. I was almost going to say "Organisers, please reflect upon the lessons of this race and avoid the mistakes in next year's race", and then I decided that I will simply NOT join the next Mizuno run next year. After a few consecutive years of lousy event-planning and organisation, I think there's NO need for me to give the organisers any more second chances.
Thankfully, I met friends at the event, so that was the only saving grace. And thanks to Babumouse for the car-ride to Temasek Polytechnic this morning. And I'm so sorry to hear that Bee's keys were lost from her bag during the baggage deposit/collection.
Distance: 10 km
Time: 1 hr 2 min









1 Comments:
Oh my goodness... how awful!!
At least, was the tshirt nice?
Post a Comment
<< Home