Saturday, September 09, 2006

A Visit to the Handicaps Welfare Association

HWA
Felt a bit of flu setting in over the week, so went out to buy a pack of Lemsip.

In the afternoon around 2 pm, went for a talk on "Running Injuries" at the Handicaps Welfare Association (HWA) for which some runners are helping to raise funds even as they race in the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon in December 2006 (check out
http://hwascsm06.blogspot.com).

While I was there, I watched a really informative video about HWA and the work that they do for the handicapped in Singapore. This was followed by a 50 minute presentation by Dr Jason Chia on "Running Injuries", and then by a very insightful and engaging Q&A session. Then, we toured the HWA premises. It's a lovely little place, but could do with some maintenance and repair. At least now I know where my collected funds will go to, and I'm glad it's for a worthy cause.

On my way back home, stopped by a traditional bakery, and bought a loaf of really fab smelling and sweet tasting fresh-out-of-the-oven bread. Nice :) But had to skip Ramanie's wedding tonight...thought that it'll be better to stay home and rest through the evening, so that I can recover from my flu-like symptoms before the BG Run tomorrow morning...:p

Fire by night
Later in the night, I heard loud sirens outside my window. Went to take a look. Parked downstairs were an ambulance, two police motorbikes, a police car and a fire engine. Turned out that one of the units on the opposite block had caught fire. Apparently someone was burning some stuff inside his or her house. Anyway, our Home Team did a great and efficient job, and there were no casualties. Well done, Home Team!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production