Sunday, December 31, 2006

Ultramarathon

On my first lap...
I did it, I actually did it! I actually completed the MR25 Ultramarathon! Took me 9 hours 11 minutes and 10 seconds to complete the 54-km cross-country route, with all its slopes and bends, mud and rocks.

Each lap around MacRitchie Reservoir was supposed to be 10.5 km, but given the heavy rains these few days, some sections were cordoned off (due to mudslides), and each lap increased to 10.8 km instead. My timings are as follows:

Lap 1 - 1 hr 10 min
(followed by 03 min rest) [1 hr 13 min]

Lap 2 - 1 hr 35 min [2 hr 49 min]
(followed by 13 min rest) [3 hr 02 min]

Lap 3 - 1 hr 41 min [4 hr 43 min]
(followed by 16 min rest) [5 hr 00 min]

Lap 4 - 1 hr 57 min [6 hr 57 min]
(followed by 8 min rest) [7 hr 05 min]

Lap 5 - 2 hr 09 min [9 hr 11 min]

My 1st lap was good; I thought I kept the pace well. But by the 2nd lap, I could feel my left quad/knee area getting painful, and my right ankle was also starting to ache. When I finished the 2nd loop, I was unsure if I should just withdraw from the event, or bite my lips, bear the pain and push on. In the end, I chose the latter.

Surprising, Lap 3 didn't prove to be that difficult, even though my legs were getting wobbly. I decided to brisk walk and run Lap 4. For the final lap, I took a leisurely stroll with Fennel and Tooty.

The SgRunners support station was immensely helpful and much appreciated. Tktan offered me some much-needed deep-heat muscle rub, and even peeled longans for me to eat (because my hands were covered with the muscle rub). SassyRunner helped to get me drinks to quench my thirst. Sotong and Laokayu were busy taking pictures of the runners, and encouraging them to persevere and go on. Thanks to the other SgRunners who also came down to cheer and support us! I really appreciate it!

Many thanks also to the MR25 uncles who helped to man the waterpoints and checkpoints along the way. Your encouraging words kept me going! :D

It was an exhilarating experience... I only decided the night before that I WOULD take part. I'm glad I did. It really ends 2006 with a bang! =D

10 Comments:

At 11:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your achievement !

U did well !

May your 2007 will be a fruitful & prosperous one !

Rest well dude ! =)

Warm Regards
Superboy

 
At 6:04 pm, Blogger mis_nomer said...

WOW! Congrats!!!!! :)

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger Tan BoSe said...

Hey Renoh,

Congratulations! You did really well. Watching you guys running and having fun yesterday really made me regret the decision not to run the race. Nevertheless, salute your never-give-up spirit and all the best in you Pacesetters GE30k and your HKSC Half..

 
At 9:10 pm, Blogger Renohtaram said...

thanks superboy, mis_nomer and bose for your messages :D

bose - there's the ultramarathon in 2007 ;) come for it!

 
At 9:20 pm, Blogger Ronnie said...

Congratulations !!! Glad that u didn't give up the run & endured to see the fruits of your labour !

Happy new year & more good running years to come !

 
At 9:30 am, Blogger Renohtaram said...

thanks ronnie! you had a very good performance this year overall! =D well done!

 
At 10:20 am, Blogger JT said...

Congratulations for your ultra marathon! You set your mind to do it and YOU DID IT! I admire people who run tough than run fast. Very inspiring.Well Done, Renoh di di!!

 
At 3:29 pm, Blogger Thundercat said...

Wow my post that night works.

"1 round become 2 rounds then 3, 4 , and then 5 rounds liao.

Renoh, just do it."

Hahahaha. Bravo lah. Well done Renoh.

 
At 9:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey reno, congrats on completin the ultra. i was supposed to do it too but decided to jus clock 3loops so tt i wun spend next 2 days of New Year recovering :P
but listenin to all these success glories makes me bit itchy thou! Yes, 2007 Ultra it shall be :)

BTW, can let me know more info abt the Habitat trip from ur earlier post? Interested. IM: stazzie11@hotmail.com

 
At 11:50 am, Blogger roentgen said...

Congratulations of capping 2006 with such an amazing achievement! I really admire all of you who had enough guts and determination to complete the ultramarathon :) Well done and have a blessed 2007.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production