A flash of anger
Went for physio this afternoon. The physiotherapist handed me an elastic band and told me to do the same set of "strengthening" exercises that she had been making me do since a few weeks ago. She then went behind her computer terminal to type her own stuff, leaving me to perform the exercises on my own. When I was done, I went over to look for her and passed her a letter from the doctor who reviewed me a week ago. The doctor had written that my physiotherapy should focus on getting the bones in my shoulder joint area back in place first before trying to strengthen the muscle groups (which made perfect sense, because how am I supposed to strengthen my shoulder muscles when I have difficulty and pain moving my arm, given that my shoulder bones are in the wrong position in the first place!). With bated breath, I waited for the physiotherapist to read the letter, hoping in my heart that she would then begin to do some much-needed manipulation/range-of-motion exercises with me. Instead, after reading the letter, the physiotherapist looked at me and said that she knew better and that she would not change her treatment for me. I was to continue doing those elastic band exercises. And then she said that my physio session was over for the day, goodbye, see you again in a fortnight. I was somewhat distressed to hear all this, but I was too non-confrontational to question her in her face regarding her professional judgement vis-a-vis the doctor's. But I became angry when I left the hospital and started to wonder how much precious recovery time I've wasted because of the damning combination of ineffective physiotheraphy and half-baked medical diagnosis.
Thankfully, by the time I reached Tanjong Pagar at around 7-ish, my temper had simmered down considerably. I had dinner with Hosea, Andrew, Hwee Kiang and Ivy, and then proceeded to get a briefing on my duty as a logistics I/C at the Habitat for Humanity Singapore Build4Hope event this coming weekend. I'm looking forward to it, and I hope I don't get recalled back to work during that time.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home