Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Portrait of Mrs Charbuque

Finished my 4th novel for the year, "The Portrait of Mrs Charbuque". An interesting story about how an artist in New York named Piambo lands himself into a dark and mysterious contract to paint the portrait of a lady, Mrs Charbuque, whom he is not allowed to see but with whom he is permitted only to speak. Add in the twist that Mrs Charbuque earns a living by foretelling the future as guided by the two identical snowflakes encapsulated in resin inside a locket hanging by her neck. Throw in a side plot of a series of deaths of women from an obscure disease that causes them to cry blood from their eyes. Mix all of that with a rather murderous and supposedly deceased Mr Charbuque whose jealousy and hatred for his wife drives him to hunt Piambo down. Quite a story, I must say, and easily digestible in an afternoon. :) 3/5 for me.

The Portrait of Mrs Charbuque


Sometime after 8 pm this evening, I started to feel the tingling, uncontrollable twitching sensation in the area near my right shoulder blade. It's like the sensation in my right thigh the last time, a few days after surgery. The nurses then had told me that it was a natural phenomenon: the nerves were re-establishing contact, and that's a promising sign of recovery.

But right now, I am still battling the voices in my head that tell me I will never recover fully, and that I'll never be able to do the physical stuff I wanted to do...ever again...like rock-climbing, swimming, bulking up and martial arts...

Injury, to an athlete, is such a dark and despairing word.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

contd to fight n battle with those voices,dun let them take control.always remember the light is at the end of the tunnel.With patience,constant practices of physiotherapy n with the healing powers of Mighty God,U WILL RECOVER.Trust,press on,Jia you!;)

 
At 10:32 am, Blogger Tan BoSe said...

hey brother, don't give up! Give your body sometime to rest. I'm sure you'll be back to normal soon. Cheers!

 
At 12:36 pm, Blogger Run'er said...

someday down the road u're gonna look back and be very thankful for the injury..

i may sound insensitive now but really! it will happen! =p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production