Saturday, June 17, 2006

30-Hour Famine

Woke up, put on my old Habitat T-shirt - originally white but now permanently stained dirty grey-yellow with the brick and cement dust from my Banda Aceh build - and went down to Mt Faber SAFRA for a morning swim.

It was good. Took me less time than usual to get "acclimatised" to the chlorinated water. There were some strong swimmers in the pool, and I took the chance to observe how they kicked for their breaststroke. Hmmm... After watching for a while, I roughly knew how I should be kicking - but getting my legs to do just what I thought wasn't easy. Nevertheless, because my subsequent laps seemed easier and less strenuous, I must have improved my kicking by at least a little. :) I completed 20 laps.

Washed up, then took a bus down to Harbourfront for a quick brunch. And then took the Northeast Line down to Potong Pasir (very nice district!). Arrived at St Andrew's Junior College at about 1130 hrs for the "30-Hour Famine" event organised by World Vision and coorganised by Habitat for Humanity, Singapore.

Met Hosea there, who promptly got me an event T-shirt to change into. (I must have looked really sloppy in my old, stained garb!) Then I roamed around the school on my own, and ran into Qianhao and some other folks from Club Rainbow who were also vounteering for the same event. Nice...I keep running into familiar faces at all these various volunteering events!

Lots of students involved in this year's event which covered a wide range of social issues plaguing the world today, including famine, disease, poverty housing, HIV AIDS, child prostitution, etc. Hopefully, the kids would learn something from all the planned activities, appreciate their own lives and the people and things around them, and be inspired to contribute and give to those in need around them, both within and beyond Singapore.

I thank God for organisations like Habitat and World Vision as well as folks like Millard and Linda Fuller, Hosea and Hwee Kiang who really make a positive difference to the world.

I left the "30-Hour Famine" early at around 7 pm. Had to rest for tomorrow's activities - a movie outing to Plaza Singapura by the Ice Cream Express and Starlight Express teams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This blog has been a Renohtaram (雷诺特郎) Production